Wednesday 14 April 2010

Email Engagement and Don't Forget the Locals

Trial by Email

As a historical note I fought this constituency for the Green Party way back in 1992; there was no email in those days, but I did receive a number of letters from voters asking for my views and from organisations asking me to pledge support to their campaigns.

Fast forward 18 years and the printed communications have largely disappeared; they have been replaced by email. I have received well over a hundred emails from electors in the constituency, and organisations, seeking my views - our electronic age has made communication so much easier, and whilst it also makes it much easier to reply it is taking me a while to work through them.
So if you've emailed me and not yet had a reply, I haven't forgotten you, and I won't - it may just take a little bit of time. I'm sure my fellow candidates are in the same position.

Even given that it is good to receive so many. It shows a healthy interest in the elction and concern for important issues, certainly in this constituency. The main areas of concern which are being raised are also ones I share. In descending order the topics about which I have received most emails are:

- Climate Change
- Political reform (connected with Power 2010 in particlular)
- Lobbying transparency
- ID Cards
- A voice for Nature
- World Poverty / Justice (also some good linkage with climate change here)
- Save the BBC

If this is a good reflection of the concerns of the people of Withington constituency, than I am indeed proud to be part of this community.

Don't Forget the Locals

With the massive emphasis on the general election it is easy to forget that there are elections to Manchester City Council happening at the same time. There has been a gradual removal of power from local authorities under the Governments of the last 30 years and it is easy why elections to these bodies have such a low profile. You will see little mention of ward candidates from the other Parties at this time, particularly in wards which they consider 'safe'.

Nevertheless the make-up of our City Council is important, and I'll have more to say on this as the campaign progresses. We certainly want some real Green representation in there.

As well as being Parliamentary candidate I am the council election candidate for Chorlton ward. The other candidates who are standing for the Green Party in Withington consituency are as follows (and they all live in the constituency).

Burnage - Dan Collinson
Chorlton Park - James Alden
Didsbury East - Richard (Gerry)Gee
Old Moat - Rowan Smith
Withington ward - Laura Bannister

No comments:

Post a Comment