Sunday 11 April 2010

Welcome, Power 2010 and a Forking Good Time

Hi everyone

Welcome to the inauguration of my election blog. For the next 4 weeks or so, I will posting here details of my campaign, together with comment, links and policies. I'll be extremely busy, but I'll endevour to keep it well updated

My 'Mancunian Green' blog will be in suspended animation for this period, hopefully to be revived at a later date. The ChorltonGreenParty blogspot is also likely to be quieter, with important Chorlton related matters included here.

Power 2010

Power 2010 have been running a vigorous campaign to give everyone the chance to have a say in how democracy works for us. From a widely-answered questionnaire they have come up with the following 5 most popular proposed reforms

1. Introduce a proportional voting system

2. Scrap ID cards and roll back the database state

3. Replace the House of Lords with an elected chamber

4. Allow only English MPs to vote on English laws

5. Draw up a written constitution

My belief in the need for drastic reform of our political system goes back long before the expenses scandals of last year. Indeed along with many other Greens I was a signatory and supporter of Charter 88 (now Unlock Democracy) as far back as, possibly 1988.

Consequently I am delighted that the five reforms include four (reforms 1,2,3 and 5) which I believe are among the most important for a future healthy democracy in this country. I am particularly delighted that the introduction of a proportional voting system is top of the list.

There will be a hustings on the subject of political reform on the 22nd April, at the Hough End Centre at 7.30 pm, and I will have more to say on this subject nearer that time. In the meantime I was pleased to meet Power 2010 campaigners at their stall in Chorlton yesterday afternoon (see picture below of me with campaigner Rob).


They told me they were getting a very good reception; good news, although not surprising for Chorlton. A lot of people in the constituency feel strongly on this subject - I have already received 11 emails asking me to sign the Power 2010 Pledge (I have done so).

Regarding my fellow candidates. Independent Yasmin Zalzala had already visited the stall at that point; they were hoping for Lib Dem MP John Leech to arrive later. They informed me that John had signed the pledge, but they seemed to be having difficulty getting Labour Challenger Lucy Powell to sign up - hmmm - I'm sure we'll hear more on this on the 22nd, if not before. Regarding my Tory opponent, Chris Green, I didn't expect him to be my first sighting of a Tory in Chorlton for 5 years by attending this stall, and he didn't disappoint.

A Forking Good Time

From the more theoretical discussions of political reform to a bit of practical activity. Later yesterday afternoon I spent some time with Friends of Beech Road Park who were 'pricking'. The leaves left on the ground and the cold winter had compacted the ground; pricking (creating lots of small holes by use of gardening forks, or other implements) aerates the soil and aids water penetration.

Enough to work up a sweat on what felt like the first day of Spring, a contribution to the well-being of one of our remaining green spaces and an opportunity to renew my membership of Chorlton Civic Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment